Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Simple Introduction

I suppose I should start this blog off with an introduction. I'm gonna try to keep it simple, I'm not an avid blogger or blog reader, so I'm not really sure how these things work. I would figure a little background is in order tho, for anyone who doesn't already know me, which I assume is most of you.
My name is Lisa. I'm 26 years old. I married my best friend, Ed, on my 21st birthday, October 18th 2003. He is an ET in the US Navy, which makes me a proud Navy wife. We're currently transitioning from the Submarine fleet to the Surface fleet, and while life with a submariner was never dull, I must admit, I'm loving the surface!
On august 22nd, 2004 I gave birth to our first son, Edmond Nathaniel, who we called Nate. Nate left this world on April 24, 2006. He died peacefully in his sleep with no warning. At 20 months old we had believed the danger of SIDS had long since passed, but life isn't always as simple as standards and statistics. I have since all but blocked the memory of his passing, but his life is still fresh in my mind, and I often find myself referring to his life for comparisons or just reflecting on things he did. I believe this bothers some people, that I talk about my dead son as tho he was still here, but it's a habit I haven't been able to break. Frankly, he'll always live on in my memories, so remembering him is just my way of keeping him alive, and I make no apologies for that.
Shortly after Nate's passing, my husband and I decided to go ahead with plans we had to try for baby number two. This time around it wasn't easy, after 6 months we finally saw a positive pregnancy test, only to miscarry right before Christmas. In July, just as I was about to give up all hope of ever being a mommy again, the stress of trying to conceive on top of the stress of having lost a child was starting to be more than I could stand, we found out we were expecting. Alexander William, whom we call Xander, was born on February 29th, 2008. Xander is my pride and joy, he is the reason I get out of bed every morning, and the reason I hardly ever sleep at night, lol.
Xander was only about 2 months old when we started talking about having baby number 3. At first it was all just a lot of talk. Mostly it sounded like we were trying to come up with a million and one reasons why it would be an awful idea to start trying again. By the time he was 4 months old, Ed was convinced he wasn't getting any younger and since he was in school, and would be for quite some time, it would be best to try again soon if we planned on having another baby while he was on shore duty. Otherwise we'd have to wait 4 more years, or try while he was attached to a ship, with the possibility of him missing the pregnancy and/or birth. I still needed a bit of convincing, Xander wasn't even sleeping through the night yet, I wasn't quite ready. When Xander was 6 months old I decided we could start trying again. After all the trouble we had getting pregnant with him I had serious doubts that another baby was even in the cards, but i figured what the heck. Xander is now 14 months old, and baby number 3, a boy we plan to name Ethan, is due in July.
I forgot to mention, being a Navy family, over the last 5 1/2 years we have moved around quite a bit. From Virginia where we met and married, to Connecticut, to Maine, back to Connecticut, to Illinois, and now finally back to Virginia. We'll be stationed here for quite awhile, which is a good thing, because it gave us a chance to buy our first house together and finally get out of Navy housing. It can also be a bad thing because our families are within driving distance now, and his parents don't always understand the concept of boundaries.
Ok folks, I suppose I lied about keeping this simple. I ment to, but as you can see my thoughts are rarely organized, and I felt like I had alot of ground to cover. I think you've got enough history for now.

0 comments: